Preparation and Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- vegan margarine 100g
- 2 large bunches spring onions
- 550g small chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- ½ tsp yeast extract
- 300-350ml light vegan ale
- 210g ready rolled puff pastry
- 800g floury potatoes, peeled
- 100ml unsweetened soya milk
Preheat Oven to Gas 6/200C/400F.
1. Melt 50g of margarine in a large non-stick frying pan (you may find it easier to do in two batches). Chop the bottom 7cm part of the spring onions roughly and sauté briefly. Save the tops as you will need them later.
2. Cut the mushrooms into 5mm slices and add into the pan. Continue to sauté for 5 minutes until starting to colour, stirring to prevent sticking.
3. Take off the heat and sprinkle the cornflour over. Once back on the hob add the Marmite and 300ml of ale. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until mushrooms begin to soften. Use more ale if the mixture seems too dry.
4. Divide the mixture into 4 small soufflé/ceramic pie dishes. Cut out 4 circles of the pastry and place on top, leaving some room to rise. Brush with soya milk and make a small hole in the top to let the steam escape. Bake for 20 minutes until golden.
5. Cut the potatoes into large chunks and boil until soft but not falling apart. Drain and empty back into the pan to dry slightly. Add the remaining 50g margarine and mash very well. Finely chop the remaining green part of the spring onions and add, with enough soya milk, to make a smooth mash.
© The Vegetarian Society