Just in time for New Year’s. Here is my standby recipe. Serve with steamed rice, cooked cabbage for the greens.
Vegan Black-Eyed Peas
Serves 8 to 12
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
* 2 T. olive oil
* 3 cups finely chopped onions
* 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
* 1 15-ounce can low-sodium vegetable stock (I use my own)
* 4 cups dry black-eyed peas
* 5 cups water, plus more, if needed
* 2 15-ounce cans whole tomatoes
* 3 T. tomato paste
* 2 T. dark brown sugar
* salt and pepper, to taste
In a large pot, heat the oil over high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until onions are translucent. Add vegetable stock, black-eyed peas, water, tomatoes, tomato paste and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, adding more water as required, or until peas reach your softness of your choosing. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.